amandla stenberg,

"Everything, Everything" Movie Trailer Thoughts

7:30 AM Deborah Embury 0 Comments

Bless this book and Nicola Yoon, and may she have a long and prosperous writing career. 
"Everything, Everything" was one of my top 10 favorite books in 2015, but I wasn't expecting it to be. I received an ARC of it during the summer and only read it because I thought it looked short and would be a quick fluffy read. It thoroughly and utterly surprised me with a fresh voice and absorbing plot, and I ended up flying through it and wanting more. 
Needless to say, I was thrilled when it got picked up for a film adaption by Warner Bros. Pictures. The trailer for "Everything, Everything" dropped this week, so here are my thoughts on it. If you wanna watch this trailer, here's the link.

The set of Maddy's house looks exactly how I imagined it!
(PC: Warner Bros. Pictures)

Okay, so first of all, the trailer music is an excellent pick and sets a solid tone for the film. The song is "Runnin' (Lose It All)" by Naughty Boy, with Arrow Benjamin and Beyonce. A lyric sample:

Runnin', runnin', runnin'
Ain't runnin' from myself no more
I'm ready to face it all
If I lose myself, I lose it all

I thought at first this was a song written for the film but apparently it released back in 2015. Oops...anyway, again it's a great choice, and I'm hoping the rest of the movie soundtrack will be that good! This one just really ties into the film so well.

Back when casting was happening and Amandla Stenberg and Nick Robinson were announced for the leads, I lost it- these two are perfect for the roles of Maddy and Olly. They seem to have great chemistry with one another in the trailer. I thought Stenberg was a shining star in "The Hunger Games", so I'm really eager to see her on screen again. Honestly, I was nervous about Maddy's casting, because in the books her mother is black and her father was Japanese American, so her look is very distinct. Stenberg definitely looks like Maddy IMO, and I have faith in her with this role!
 I wasn't a Robinson fan when I saw him in "Jurassic World" and was underwhelmed with his bland acting. But here, he really seems to be capturing what I see to be a potentially great Olly. 

Hopefully Robinson's car skills have improved since "Jurassic World" :D
(PC: Warner Bros. Pictures)
The thing that is definitely my favorite part about this film right now is the color palette combined with the mise en scene. The screen is filled with lush green plants; the crisp whiteness of Maddy's clothes and surroundings; royal, inky blues tones of oceans and lighting; warm, chestnut shades of brown. This palette gives the whole trailer an contemporary feel combined with a slightly rugged sense of adventures to come (see: all the ocean/island/tropical scenes).
Seeing this just makes me even more thrilled for the actual film, because it shows an obvious attention to detail. In the book, it it clearly defined how Maddy's surroundings are mostly white, and she herself wears white until later when she selects certain colors to wear. Clearly, costuming is a key part in film making: it shows character and conveys tone, and it looks like someone did their research for this movie. 
This still captures the colors/look of the trailer so well!
(PC: Warner Bros. Pictures)
(PD: Warner Bros. Pictures)
Alright, now here's the thing that I really didn't like about this trailer:
it shows waaaaaay too much. 
I'm someone who likes to know the basic premise of a movie I'm about to watch, but I don't want to know details or really anything that happens after the first half of the film.
But in this trailer, anyone watching it, even if they haven't read the book, can easily piece together the main chain of events. Yes, there are still a couple little things that happen, and definitely one major event, but the rest of it is all here. Literally everything, everything is shown in the trailer (pun intended). 
Sure, a trailer with all these gorgeous island scenes and Maddy clearly going outside creates anticipation, but those two events right there are now no longer a surprise like they were in the book. Maddy and Olly going to the tropics together was a BIG thing!! Putting such climactic scenes in the trailer usually makes the finished movie a teeny bit less of a thrill to watch. 
Um, thanks trailer for spoiling this moment for viewers... :/
(PC: Warner Bros. Pictures)
Overall, I'm still excited for the film, but mostly because I loved the book so much. The trailer on it's own is visually lovely and looks charming. However, it gave quite a bit away, and I wish it had been more vague about what happens to Maddy and how she does go outside. 

 I'll certainly be seeing it in May when it releases- I hope it's everything (everything) I want! :)
I ship it.
(PC: Warner Bros. Pictures)


You Might Also Like

0 comments: