2017,

Top 8 Anticipated YA Book Releases 2017

10:46 PM Deborah Embury 0 Comments

Alright, here we go! I know it's already a month into 2017, but most of my most anticipated YA books are still not out yet, so this post is still relevant! :D There are dozens and dozens of books coming out in 2017 that I'm pumped to read, and a good chunk of those are Young Adult reads. It's been quite awhile since there have been this many teen books I'm excited about. Really: usually there are a handful, typically fantasy, but this year just seems to be teeming with promising new stuff books (and only a couple are fantasy). Here are my Top 8 I can't wait for!

"A Tragic Kind of Wonderful" by Eric Lindstrom

Even though the rest of my list is in no particular order, I just felt like placing this one at the top because I have a particularly noticeable anticipation for it. In my last post, I mentioned how much I loved Lindstrom's debut novel, "Not If I See You First" and was beyond hyped to find out about his newest work!
This is a book about a young girl with bipolar disorder. I don't think I've ever read a YA book where the MC is bipolar, but I had also never read a teen book with a blind MC before Lindstrom's first book either. So I have real faith that this will prove to be an engaging read either way! YA literature seems to be steadily growing more and more diverse each year, and that's a really exciting thing to see! Mental illness and different disorders are greatly underrepresented in teen books, so I'm glad to see this change. (Um, also , I'm lovingggg this cover! <3 The weepy watercolors and pastel theme is so pretty!)

"Always and Forever, Lara Jean" (To All The Boys I've Loved Before #3) by Jenny Han

Despite the fact that I've only read the first book in this soon-to-be trilogy, I'm really excited about the prospect of a continuation of this series! I thought the first one was very cute and super well written, with a family aspect that is rare is YA books. Lara Jean is also one of my favorite contemporary protagonists (and also one of my top bookish fashion icons). To be honest, I got most excited about this book when I saw Jenny Han's tweets about the photo shoot for the book cover- it looked so cool!

"The Gatlon School for Vigilantes" by Marissa Meyer

Okay: we have Marissa Meyer, author of the amazingly epic Lunar Chronicles; we have two different schools for superheroes; we have a plot that seems to promise questioning of hero/villain, hero/sidekick norms. I'm pumped to see more than one YA superhero book releasing this year (Bardugo's is down below, too!) and can't WAIT to read this one. I'm picking up on some X-Men/Quantum Prophecy vibes from this book. Side note: The Quantum Prophecy books are severely underhyped? Ugh, I loved them as a teen! But yeah, I have very high hopes for this one! (also- super curious to see the final cover)


"Our Dark Duet" by Victoria Schwab 

"This Savage Song" was the second VE Schwab book I read ("Vicious" was the first FYI) and I enjoyed it immensely. Kate and August are both compelling characters to read about, and I liked both of their perspectives in TSS. I'm usually a fan of dual perspectives anyway, but I thought Schwab did a particularly good job of weaving together two distinct voices in a lovely manner. I don't know if Schwab is planning on keeping this as a duology or trilogy or even more, but I'm kinda hoping it's gonna just be two books. For some reason, I feel like the story can be finished in one more, and as much as I love series, two just seems right here. But anyways, series aside, this is one I'm buying as SOON as it releases!

"Wonder Woman: Warbringer" (DC Icons #1) by Leigh Bardugo


Not gonna lie: I saw talk about a Wonder Woman book last year, and was a little interested, but not too much. It wasn't until I read Leigh Bardugo's "Six of Crows" that I becameaddicted to her writing! My interest in this book went up 100x after the magnificence of the SoC duology. Bardugo's storytelling skills are sharp, witty, and elegant, and she brings such a brilliant and tangible life to her characters. Wonder Woman is a favorite superhero of mine, and I'm elated to see her in the hands of such a master storyteller.

"All The Crooked Saints" by Maggie Stiefvater

I became a pretty hardcore Steifvater fan last year after starting The Raven Cycle at the recommendation of a friend. Her writing is atypical and lyrical, her characters lifelike and full of emotion. Although Steifvater has said she can't release much info about the plot, my love of her work on TRC and as a person is enough to make me super interested in reading it. I met her last year in NYC and she was so clearly passionate about her work that I truly believe this new book will be something to talk about.

"Meg & Linus" by Hanna Nowinski

I came across a mention of this book on Twitter when I was looking for diverse 2017 releases. The title sounded cute (I know it's just names, but still!) so I looked it up on Goodreads. Here's part of the summary:
"Meg & Linus by Hanna Nowinski, a fun friendship story about two quirky teens who must learn to get out of their comfort zones and take risks—even if that means joining the drama club, making new friends, and learning how to stand on your own."
This two sound like such nerdy, steadfast best friends that I just couldn't help but be intrigued! It sounds a little bit like "The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love" by Sarvenaz Tash, which I've read and enjoyed. And apparently there's also a heavy emphasis on the non-romantic friendship of the two main character's, which isn't terribly common in YA lit, so again, I'm interested in checking this out!

"When Dimple Met Rishi" by Sandhya Menon

Ahhh, I keep seeing reviewers and bloggers getting ARCs of this, and I just want one!! :O This is
another one I found out about while looking for diverse reads, and just like "Meg & Linus" there's a real geeky, sweet vibe around it that's calling my name! "When Dimple Met Rishi" focuses on two Indian-American teens whose parents have set them up to be married. From what I can tell, these two characters are attending the same web development summer camp, but are two vastly different people whose personalities clash. It looks geeky, romantic, and hilarious! I've heard some very positive early reviews on this one. Ah, it looks like such a cute read!! <3


You Might Also Like

0 comments: