an ember in the ashes,

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books

6:49 PM Deborah Embury 0 Comments

Sci-fi and fantasy books (especially fantasy!) were really my first true book loves. This genre was definitely what made me love reading so much, and to this day, a large portion of what I read are still SF/F novels! Everything from middle grade fantasy to adult sci-fi epics, I adore a good fantastical read, preferably with dragons. 
For the purpose of sharing books that aren't super well known, I decided to exclude three series from this list because basically every reader has heard of them before. So "The Lord of the Rings", "The Chronicles of Narnia", and the "Harry Potter" books are not on my list, despite the fact that I love them! I just wanted to talk about a couple books that are not quite as famous (although some are pretty close)...

1) The Starbound trilogy by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

This trilogy kicks off with "These Broken Stars", a YA sci-fi book that follows the story of Tarver and Lilac, two passengers aboard a giant starship. Although two very different people, Tarver and Lilac find themselves together in a way they could have never predicted. The two young adults end up in a drastic situation and uncover a phenomenon that could threaten the entire universe. 
One of the best parts of this series is the way each book builds upon the previous book with brand new characters but weaves the plots and people back together in unexpected ways. The series as a whole is focused on unraveling the phenomenon discovered in the first book; however, Kaufman and Spooner tie in new narratives which address other issues, too. My favorite book in the trilogy is book two, "This Shattered World"- the narrative on war and the effects of war is incredible and deeply moving. I would highly recommend this series to anyone looking for some epic sci-fi adventure, romance, and great character development! 


2) "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells

A classic! I read this for the first time in a British Literature college course. I thought I would enjoy
it, simply because it seemed liked a quirky little science book, but I didn't guess just how much I'd like it! While part of my enjoyment of "The Time Machine" certainly stemmed from having been studying it at the time of reading, it's a whirling read even without academic knowledge of it.
 The story is about a man in Victorian England simply referred to as the Time Traveler, who is telling his dinner guests about the fantastic machine he has. Later, the actual time traveling occurs and the Traveler is thrown into the year 802,701 AD and meets two races known as the Eloi and the Morlocks. These creatures act as a symbol for the upper and working classes of Victorian England, and the text is saturated with Well's narrative on his opinions of such. 
"The Time Machine" is a short and deceptively simple read; a novella that is a must read for any sci-fi fan. 

3) The Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull

Right after LOTR and Narnia, this middle-grade fantasy series was the one that had the greatest impact on me as a young reader. Full of vain fairies, shadowcharmers, ancient artifacts, dragons, enchanted preserves, and an utterly delightful cast of characters, "Fablehaven" is a marvelously crafted series that is certain to entertain. Seriously. 
The basic premise is this: two youngsters, Kendra and Seth Sorenson, are stuck staying with their rarely-seen grandparents while their parents are on a cruise. Turns out that the acres and acres of land the Sorenson's grandparents live on is actually a preserve for magical creatures. Chaos and spells ensue after the discovery of this hidden supernatural world. 
Although the first book is fairly simple, each consecutive book builds greatly upon the last to culminate into a whirling series finale. Along the way, Mull crafts a storyline that is unpredictable and addictive. I also want to shoutout his "Beyonders" trilogy, which has some of the best world building I've seen in a middle-grade series. I will read every one of Mull's books without question!

4) "An Ember in the Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir

This YA fantasy combines two of my favorite things- first: a Roman-inspired atmosphere and world,
and second: a high stakes competition. The reason "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" is my fave HP book is because of the TriWizard Tournament. I love books with competitions or hunts like that (see also: "Ready Player One") and "Ember" is no exception. Told in a dual perspective narrative, Tahir's stunning debut novel tells the story of Laia, a lower class girl who has just lost her family, and Elias, a soldier in a harsh training facility. The two of their stories begin to clash together as they each try and hunt for answers and truths- Laia thinks she may be able to get her brother back, and Elias is questioning his loyalty to the realm.  I don't want to say too much about this and spoil it, but I will say that it is an epic, rich, and exhilarating story that had been reading late into the night. Heads up: this one is a little bit intense with the violence, so just take heed. This is a good choice if you liked "Six of Crows" by Leigh Bardugo or "The Valiant" by Lesley Livington. 

5) The Inheritance Cycle (aka "Eragon") by Christopher Paolini

Step aside, George R.R. Martin- when it comes to massive fantasy books that involve dragons and spells and treachery, I prefer Paolini's sprawling saga of magic. These books were like crack to me as a teenager. My Tolkien-loving self was delirously happy whenever I immersed myself in the land of Alagaesia, the land in which the Inheritance cycle takes place. This story begins with a boy named Eragon finds a mysterious blue rock in the forest. Well, the "rock" turns out to be a dragon egg, and Eragon just hatched himself something he never expected. 
As I alluded to, this series is very Tolkien-y in my opinion. There are dwarves, elves, long treks, a wonderful magic system...Paolini is a masterful storyteller who builds the world up slowly but surely, and gives readers a host of characters to root for and curse at. Don't let the massive size of these books put you off, either. If you like "traditional" fantasy and strong characters, pick up "Eragon"! 


That's it for T5W this week! Thanks for reading! :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments: