fablehaven,

Top 5 Wednesday: Fictional Jobs You'd Want To Have

4:56 PM Deborah Embury 3 Comments

The lineup for March 2017's T5W is looking really fun, and we're kicking things off with listing the top 5 fictional jobs you'd want to have! I like this topic because it got me considered the worlds of different books a little more seriously, because some of these jobs (while awesome) would also come with some fairly strict boundaries (see #3). And that just makes me feel like I understand the author/creator intententions better- how they decided to structure and limit and build their fictional world.
Okay, enough rambling- in no particular order, here's my T5W of fictional jobs!


1) Crow Club gang member
    So I'd a) get to work with Kaz Brekker, b) live in Ketterdam, and c) get to participate in all the shenanigans and mayhem that ensue from a and b. The world Bardugo has created in her books is so vivid and full of life that I imagine living in Ketterdam would be nonstop thrills. The atmosphere is rowdy, historic, and dangerous all at once, with something interesting in every alley. Or in the least, I'd get to hang around the club and play cards and throw knives and whatnot. Either way it's a win-win scenario for me.

2) Jedi master
    I mean- this can count as a "job" right? Right?? Welp, for the purpose of this article, I'm gonna say it counts. As long as I wouldn't have to deal with someone like Anakin Skywalker or JarJar Binks, I'd be willing to do nearly anything that was required of me. Training young Jedi? Check. Making peace negotiations with another alien government? Done. Practicing lightsaber moves? I'm there. Plus I can style my hair in a huge variety of bun-shaped updos, so I'd definitely fit in with the locals! ;)

3) Caretaker of a magical preserve
     "Fablehaven" by Brandon Mull is my all time favorite middle-grade fantasy series. I recommend this to young readers and older fantasy buffs alike. This is a series where there are secret preserves around the world for magical creatures. Each one has a caretaker who oversees and live on the preserve and ensures it stays protected. I mean- what other job could possibly come close to doing something so cool? There's magical creatures, ancient artifacts, landscapes from sweeping deserts to lush forests, and fairies. Oh, and a couple preserves have dragons, too. There are some other really fascinating jobs in this world, like a fairy trader, but caretaker is the one I'd pick.

4) Crew member of the starship Enterprise
     Again with the space jobs! If I can't work in the Star Wars universe then I'm working here! I think any position in science (although not with numbers), or research would be good for me. I picked this job mainly because it would allow me to explore deep space and see all sorts of different planets and aliens and all that jazz. There's a catch with this one thought- I absolutely wouldn't a "big" title position. As in, no officers or people who really have to deal with all the crap happening on the bridge. Call me a red shirt wannabe, but I just want to enjoy the ship and study aliens and not deal with the Star Trek drama!

5) Professor or Groundskeeper at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry
    There's definitely a theme in my choices in this article: space and magical-based professions are clearly my top picks. The groundskeeper position is somewhat close to the Fablehaven caretaker position mentioned in #3, but you know, at Hogwarts so it's a teeny bit more epic. Honestly, give me a magical wand and I have complete faith in my abilities to wrangle up the various beasts or repair stuff or just grow giant pumpkins like Hagrid. Working here as a professor would be grand, too. I'm thinking Herbology (I've got an excellent green thumb) or maybe the Hogwarts equivalent of a literature professor.

Ahhh, I really loved doing this week's prompt! If anyone is interested in joining the T5W group or finding more about upcoming topics, here is the link for the Goodreads group.

You Might Also Like

3 comments:

  1. The first pick refers to Six of Crows, right? I keep hearing such good things about that series -- what's it about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's from Six of Crows! And it really is a phenomenal duology- it's a story about six outcasts in the fictional city of Ketterdam who agree to pull of a heist in one of the most heavily gaurded places. It's like a more magical version of the film "Now You See Me" meets the Grisha trilogy! :)

      Delete
  2. Being a crow club gang member sounds fun- but also intimidating! I can't fight or run around all the time! But then again I'll meet the 6 of crows gang so.. I think it's worth it :D

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete