a darker shade of magic,

Recent Reads: Here's What I've Loved

11:04 AM Deborah Embury 0 Comments

Hello, friends!
Today I just wanted to talk about three books (or book series!) I finished reading recently. 2017 has been such a fun reading year for me- lots of new authors discovered, good books read, and even more books that I've fallen in love with. So- let's do a little book gushing now:


1) "A Conjuring of Light" by V.E. Schwab

The finale to Schwab's Shades of Magic series came out earlier this year, and it is one action-packed behemoth of a novel! Now that I've finally finished it...I'm a little broken hearted. I'm going to miss this series so MUCH! Kell and his coat, Lila's spunk and determination, adorably swaggering Alucard- these characters have made such an impact on me and I love them (even Holland. Especially Holland. Fight me.) Also, seeing everyone on the ship together had me rocking with laughter- Schwab writes the connections and relationships between characters so well; it was incredible to see everyone clash against one another.
I'm also super pleased with how everyone's arc ended. Each one made sense and flowed well with the narrative Schwab had established throughout the previous books. Yeah, each ending made me sob but it was a solid, contented kind of sob. The ending was heartbreakingly perfect.


2) "Death Note" volumes 10, 11, & 12 by Tsugumi Ohba & Takeshi Obata

Okay yes, that's technically three books right there, but I'm grouping them together because I read them all back-to-back. These three make up the final fourth of the "Death Note" story, a series I have been reading since last year. I tried to read them slowly but I finally got to the point where I needed to see how things ended!
On the whole, I definitely loved how the series wrapped up- it was dark and complicated, just like the rest of the books. My mind was racing as I tried to keep up with everyone and all the layers of deception! Despite Vol. 12 being a little bit too "let's explain everything!", the sheer amount of thought placed into the plot planning of "Death Note" had me reeling.
The only downside to these final books was that there was a disappointing lack of Ryuk or any other shinigami. Ryuk and Sidoh (bless his lil soul) are my favorite characters and I find the shinigami as a whole the most fascinating to read about.
Shinigami aside, I'm totally collecting this whole series and will be rereading it again very soon!

3) "Warcross" by Marie Lu

"Warcross" has lots of action, a healthy dose of mystery, and some very vibrant and intricate characters. This book is already incredibly hyped despite it's release date still being three months away. The hype is real! I inhaled this book in a couple days. "Warcross" is an addictive read that left me eager to find out more. Lu has created a story that effortlessly blends sci-fi and YA alongside a world that could easily be our near future. The inclusion of technology was seamless with the narrative, and I loved seeing all the cool creations Lu had written.
The only thing I wish there could have been more of was the actual gameplay. We get to see a handful of cool moments in the Warcross game (the ice world was very cool- pun intended) but when an author creates a world where so many levels of play are possible, I really expect to be WOW'ed by the game and the different worlds inside the game- but it was not as epic as I think Lu could have made it.

Those are three books I've read recently and loved- what about you? Leave me a comment with you favorite recent read so I can check it out! :)




You Might Also Like

0 comments: