book quotes,

Favorite Book Quotes // Part 1

9:53 AM Deborah Embury 0 Comments

This post is the first in a series where I'll be sharing my favorite book quotes. I've found myself thinking about several of these quotes more and more lately, and I hope someone else can find or be inspired by one of these!
What is your favorite book quote?


         * * * * *

"And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!"
-Susanna Clarke, "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell"

"There is only one page left to write on. I will fill it with words of only one syllable. I love. I have loved. I will love."
-Audrey Niffenegger, "The Time Traveler's Wife"

"Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia."
-C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe"

"Rule Three of beekeeping: never cease to feel wonder."
-Laurie R. King, "Beekeeping for Beginners"

"Look, this is a loan. I don't know if love is something I will run out of one day. I don't know if I should be giving it all to you guys or not. Today, I feel like maybe I should have kept some for myself for days when no one else loves me."
-A.S. King, "Ask the Passengers"

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who lives to see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
-J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Fellowship of the Ring"

"The field of battle is my temple. The swordpoint is my priest. The dance of death is my prayer. The killing blow is my release."
-Sabaa Tahir, "An Ember in the Ashes" 

"Sometimes I can feel my bones straining against the weight of all the lives I'm not living."
-Jonathan Safran Foer, "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"

"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart."
-Anne Frank, "The Diary of a Young Girl"

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."
-J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Hobbit"

“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race—that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.
None of those things, however, came out of my mouth.
All I was able to do was turn to Liesel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you.
I am haunted by humans.” 

-Markus Zusack, "The Book Thief" 

"To define is to limit."
-Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: