80s,

Hopes & Expectations for the "Ready Player One" Film

7:41 AM Deborah Embury 0 Comments

Photo Credits to Entertainment Weekly and Warner Bros.
Recently the first look at the film adaption of Ernest Cline's novel, "Ready Player One" was released and my level of excitement for this movie has multiplied tenfold! RPO is one of my all-time favorite books and I have been anticipating this film ever since the baby rumors about it's production began circulating the web. Now that we've actually got a little hint of what's to come next spring, I thought now would be a good time to talk a little about what I'm expecting from the movie- ready?


Sharp, Enthralling Gameplay
I'm expecting a lot of OASIS scenes with pretty epic gameplay, both visually and physically. First of all, the book really pushes how much people have turned to the OASIS since the world has gone to crap. Most of humanity spends their time here so the this virtual reality needs to be pretty awesome. Side note: I really want the colors of this film to deliever- let's see some gritty grays in the real world and vibrant video tones in the OASIS. Secondly, this is Spielberg we're talking about here- I already have high hopes and even higher expectations for him to deliver something markedly HIM. 

Pop Culture References to the MAX
The novel is jam-packed with multitudes of references to old arcade and video games, classic 80s TV, films, and music, as well as a healthy dose of D&D jokes. These references truly created a distinct tone for the novel- one of nostalgia, nerdy love, and passion for the 80s era. If I'm not being hit with a PacMan or Star Wars joke every few minutes, I don't wanna see it. ;)

Staying True to Characters "Real" Personas
Spoiler free here, but since every person who enters the OASIS can create an avatar that looks however they want, that means we get a few "reveal" moments when certain characters come face-to-face with each other. All I'm saying is that this film needs to stay true to those IRL figures. I can already see some deviation from this with Wade Watts in the promo pics. Book Wade is chubby, nonathletic, and incredibly geeky. Film Wade still has that geek look going on, but he really doesn't look like the chubby teen I imagined while reading. Guess we'll have to wait and see? 

Costuming- Do's & Don't's
For the love of all that is good, I sincerely hope no costume designer has made Art3mis's armor into some unrealistic, clingy, boob-hugging armor that is laughably impractical. Let's see some indelicately crafted armor and outfits that are creative and eye-catching...without sexualizing the females. Aside from that, I'm really looking forwards to seeing what the costuming department comes up with! The OASIS is full of possibilities, so the avatar's outfits should be pretty phenomenal.


Little to No Deviation from Riddles/Gates
The connections of each riddle and the way they each unfolded was so seamlessly done in the novel that I truly can't imagine why screenwriters would want to change them in any way. I mean, not only were they one of the most interesting parts of the novel that allowed the reader to play along to an extent, they're also the driving force of the plot in a sense. Without the riddles, there would be no hunt for Halliday's egg!

Who else is super pumped for "Ready Player One"? If you have something you're looking forwards to, comment and let me know! Until then, I'll be rereading RPO for the hundredth time...

You Might Also Like

0 comments: